The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has announced the recall of 24,000 Amby Baby Motion Beds after two infants have reportedly suffocated in the baby hammock beds. One of the victims was a four-month-old girl from Lawrenceville, Georgia, who died in one of the baby hammocks in June. The other reported victim was a five-month-old boy from Gresham, Oregon, who died in August. In both case, the infants were suffocated in the baby hammock.
The CPSC recall announcement states that the side-to-side motion of the hammock bed can cause a child to roll and become trapped between the fabric of the hammock and the mattress pad, and this can potentially lead to suffocation. The recall includes approximately 24,000 Amby Baby Motion beds sold online at AmbyBaby.com and through other internet retailers between January 2003 and October 2009. The beds consist of a steel from and a fabric hammock connected by a large spring and a metal crossbar. A label on the hammocks reads “Amby – Babies Love It, Naturally.” Only one model of the hammock was sold, and all of them are being recalled, according to the CPSC.
The CPSC and Amby Baby USA are telling consumers to stop using the hammocks immediately and contact the company for a free repair kit. In the meantime, if you have one of those baby hammocks, find another safe place for your infant to sleep. But make sure it’s not a recalled Stork Craft drop-side crib. Last month the CPSC announced a recall of 2 million of the Stork Craft cribs. It was the largest crib recall in U.S. history. These cribs could also potentially cause suffocation due to a defect.
For additional information about the Amby Baby hammock recall, you can call Amby Baby USA at 1-866-544-9721 or visit www.ambybaby.com. You can also call the CPSC hotline at 1-800-638-2772 to reported a dangerous product or product-related injury, or visit www.cpsc.gov for more information.
In fact, during the holiday season, it’s a good idea to visit the CPSC website frequently – especially before you go shopping for the children on your gift list. The CPSC does a wonderful job of alerting us about dangerous consumer products.
“The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children,” according to the agency’s website. “The CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products – such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals – contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.”
Check www.cpsc.gov often for the latest news about potentially dangerous products. If you or a loved one have been injured by a defective product, contact a attorney as soon as possible. You may be entitled to compensation. Call MLN Law at 404-531-9700 to schedule a free consultation.