Target recently recalled two different defective Halloween flashlights made for children. According to reports, the flashlights sizzled and melted after batteries were inserted.
After the first consumer discovered the defect in one flashlight, he contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Target, and Devrian Global Industries, the importer of the flashlights. Target quickly pulled the products from their shelves, and the store has offered a full refund to consumers who return the defective flashlights.
Target representatives did not say how many flashlights were recalled. The mini flashlights were sold in 3-packs for $1.
Product reviewer Mitch Lipka reported the following on walletpop.com: “I dropped in a new Energizer battery, screwed on the top and the flashlight got warm right away. I shut off the flashlight and placed it on the kitchen table. A few minutes later a sizzling sound could be heard that we couldn’t identify. The burning smell quickly led us to the flashlight, which was now smoking and melting from the heat. I grabbed an oven mitt, grabbed the flashlight and went out on the balcony and shoved it into a pot of dirt.
“I’d have to say that after writing about dangerous products for more than a decade – many cheap Chinese imports like this – I hadn’t had one go up on me. So I purchased another package of the flashlights and dropped batteries into two of them. One melted. The other was OK. Two out of three flashlights overheating isn’t a good ratio in my unscientific test. So I contacted the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Target and the importer, Devrian Industries.
“Target’s response was swift and decisive. The flashlights are being pulled from the shelves at Target and anyone with them can get their money back. Target operates 1,684 stores in 48 states. Target declined to say how many flashlights were involved or whether others had reported similar issues.”
In a related incident, WBBM TV in Chicago reports that another child’s Halloween flashlight bought at Target almost started a fire in one family’s home.
“It burned a hole through (the sheets) and burned the pillow,” said Brandi Pavoni, mother of a three-year-old girl who was playing with the flashlight as she fell asleep.
Pavoni said that she turned off the flashlight when her daughter fell asleep but left it with her daughter. Minutes later, she smelled something burning and returned to her daughter’s bedroom to find that a metal spring at the end of the flashlight had gotten so hot that it melted through the plastic and scorched the bed.
“It burned right through everything and it was smoking,” Pavoni said.
The mini flashlight was purchased in the bargain bin at a Target store for $2.50. It was called “Flashlight with Stencil” and came with six stencils to make different Halloween images.
“I was very upset because I think children’s toys should be safe,” said Pavoni.
Target has voluntarily removed both defective flashlights from shelves.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a product liability or premises liability case, contact an experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Call MLN Law at 404-531-9700 to schedule a free consultation.