Safe Driving Suggestions – A stuck gas pedal
Fortunately, this doesn’t happen too often. But keeping these suggestions in mind may avoid a car wreck:
What to do if your gas pedal sticks
* Tap the gas pedal to try to unstick the throttle linkage.
* Hook your toe under the pedal to try and free it.
* Shift to neutral and apply firm pressure to the brakes without locking the wheels.
* Find a safe place to move the vehicle completely off the road.
* If your automobile has power steering or a locking steering wheel, do not turn off the ignition or you will lose either your power steering, or the ability to steer.
* Have your vehicle checked with a mechanic as soon as possible.
Sources: North Carolina Department of Transportation, sos.state.il.us