Safe Driving Suggestions – Thunder & Lightning
Severe Thunderstorms and Lightning
* Tune in to your radio to stay informed of approaching storms.
* If you see a tornado or hear a tornado warning, don’t try to outrun it. View tornado driving safety tips.
* Turn on your headlights (low beams) and slow down. Many states require the use of headlights during rain.
* Allow extra distance for braking.
* Do not drive unless necessary.
* Pull safely onto the shoulder of the road away from any trees that could fall on the vehicle.
* Stay in the car and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rains subside.
* An automobile provides better insulation against lightning than being in the open.
* Avoid contact with any metal conducting surfaces either inside your car or outside.
* Avoid flooded roadways.
* Avoid downed power lines.
* Check your windshield wipers and tires regularly to insure that they are ready for severe weather.
* Approach intersections with caution
* Treat traffic lights at intersections as stop signs.
* How to deal with a hail storm.
* Visit our flood safety tips for how to deal with flooding.